In addition to being a nuisance to eat and even laugh at, gum infections can put your oral health at risk. That’s why here are some Home Remedies for Gum Infection that you can quickly prepare.
Gum infections are more common than you might think and are spread in the most unthinkable ways, but we won’t dwell on this topic in this article. Instead, we want to share with you several home remedies to get rid of these annoying infections with ingredients that you have entirely at hand in your home.
These are some of the ingredients that you can use and that you indeed have in your refrigerator or pantry.
What is a gum infection?
Also known as periodontal disease, it is an ailment of the gums, either upper or lower. The problem becomes evident because inflammation occurs, which is noticeable through redness.
There are two primary diseases in which gum infection manifests itself: gingivitis and periodontitis.
Gingivitis is a visible and reversible inflammation. It is only in certain cases linked to an infection. Its leading causes are usually tartar and calculus accumulated in the mouth.
According to this information obtained by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, periodontitis occurs when gingivitis worsens due to not receiving proper treatment. When periodontitis is present, gum inflammation consumes the root of the tooth, eventually causing it to fall out.
Also Read: Belly Fat Exercise for Women At Home
How to relieve a gum infection?
Millions of people know an unspoken rule: to maintain proper oral health, it is necessary to have at least two dental cleanings a year. The cause of many gum infections is excessive tartar and calculus production that requires professional help.
However, home treatments and natural remedies are always very effective and recommended by professionals. With the daily application of many remedies prepared at home, you can obtain decisive and permanent relief.
4 Home Remedies for Gum Infection
Gum infections are related to poor oral hygiene. We can apply some natural remedies to alleviate the symptoms that will also aid the recommended dental treatment.
It is pretty standard for people to suffer from gum infections. One of the causes of this disorder could be poor oral hygiene.
One of the main symptoms is inflammation. To prevent it from getting worse, here are four remedies to relieve a gum infection that are usually very effective.
Below, we will show you some of the remedies that will be very useful to relieve a gum infection:
The primary purpose of mouthwashes is to combat bacterial plaque. The accumulation of plaque is the leading cause of gum diseases, such as gingivitis and periodontitis. So says the Complutense University of Madrid conducted this study.
That is why one of the leading home remedies to combat it involves the use of mouthwash. Here is how to do it.
- 2 tablespoons of mouthwash (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of water (15 ml)
- Salt (to taste)
What to do?
- Take a small squirt of mouthwash and dilute it with a few drops of water, but not the same amount.
- You can increase the intensity of the mixture with a small spoonful of salt.
- Once all the ingredients are mixed, you only have to gargle with it, preferably after every meal.
2. Sodium bicarbonate
It is believed that baking soda is a great help in maintaining oral hygiene. Many natural remedies are made based on baking soda, so relieving a gum infection could also be quite effective.
However, be careful since this substance can be abrasive to the enamel. So says this information obtained by the San Gregorio Dental Clinic, which also points out that there are not enough studies to support that baking soda is more effective than a typical toothpaste.
- 1 tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate (9 g)
- 1 teaspoon of water (5 ml)
What should you do?
- This recipe is straightforward because all you have to do is take the baking soda powder and mix it with a bit of water until you get a slightly compact mass.
- Then, apply it on the inflamed gums for a few minutes and then rinse.
3. Mashed potatoes
Potatoes are very nutritious, tasty, and easy to cook. However, very few people know about the healing properties of this tuber.
One of the ways to use them is to prepare homemade mashed potatoes. This study conducted by the SRM Dental College in Chennai (India) states that a potato solution with hydrogen peroxide could work as a tooth whitener.
- 2 potatoes
- ½ glass of hot water (100 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (5 g)
What should I do?
- Peel and slice the potatoes.
- It is advisable to keep them raw, so you can add a little hot water and mash them until you get a kind of raw mashed potatoes.
- Then add salt to taste and place it on the inflamed gums, where we leave it to act for half an hour.
4. Infusion with Honey
Finally, teas can help to speed up the healing of any condition. In the case of inflamed gums, warm tea with Honey can be helpful, especially if it is kept for a few seconds on the gums.
As stated in this study conducted by the Universidad de la Frontera in Temuco (Brasil), Honey has potent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- 1 teabag
- 1 teaspoon of Honey (7.5 g)
- 2 tblsp aromatherapy herbs (10 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
What should I do?
- Heat the water and add the teabag to infuse.
- When removing it, it is advisable to include a teaspoon of Honey and, if desired, some aromatic herb leaves.
Let it cool and drink it, keeping it for a few seconds in the mouth to soothe the affected gums.
Gum infections are a problem that afflicts millions of people in the world. If treated in time, it does not have to lead to severe complications.
If we are consistent, home remedies can be our best ally.